Experience the vistas of Puumala and Saimaa on a bicycle
You can go on short and long trips in Lintusalo and other parts of Puumala. The terrain is hilly but you will be rewarded with breath-taking views and healthy exercise. There are swimming spots in Pistohiekka and along the archipelago road.
Puumala archipelago route
You’ll complete the Puumala archipelago route by byke in a day, or two or three – it’s up to you. There is much to see along the way, and you will also come upon good cafés and restaurants. Also accommodation is available. A bike ferry Norppa II will take you over the lake on that section of the route that cannot be accessed by road. If the timetable of the ferry doesn’t suite to you, you can take a boat taxi from Nestorinranta.
You can experience all this along the way:
- 60 km of cycling – or more, if you prefer
- 2 trips on a ferry, 40 minutes
- Beaches, cliffs
- Stories about Nestori and the rare Saimaa ringed seal, Lintusalo
- If you are lucky, you’ll see the seal (best time is in May)
- The Säkkimäki lean-to
- The archipelago village of Niinisaari
- Beautiful parish village
- Scenic cafés and restaurants
- Geosites of Saimaa Geopark
- The Hurissalo village shop
Puumala Archipelago Tour by Bike – Sleep at Nestorinranta
3 days, 2 nights, from € 103 / person
- From 4 pm booking to Nestorinranta, accommodating, supper on your own, welfare paths, relaxing
- 8 am breakfast in Cafe Nestori
- 9 am start towards Puumala village centre by bike
- 11-12 lunch (not included to the price of the tour) in Restaurant Niinipuu, in the village centre or Sahanlahri Resort
- After the lunch exploring the geosites of Saimaa Geopark along the route towards Kivisalmi, Hurissalo
- A coffee break (not included to the price of the tour) in some of the nice cafes along the road
- 3 pm the trip (40 minutes) on the bike ferry starts from Kivisalmi to Nestorinranta
- 3:40 pm. arrival to the boat shore of Nestorinranta: dinner (on your own) , sauna, swimming, relaxing
- 9 am breakfast in Cafe Nestori
- After breakfast a small paddling trip on the lake on your own (if the weather is not too windy)
- Lunch on your own
- Good buy!
The price (from € 103 / person) includes
- Accommodation (2 nights) in a twin room Mari or Ville
- Shared bathroom and summer kitchen
- Bed sheets and towels
- A possibility to use BBQ and camp fire place
- A bike with 7 gears and a helmet
- An Indian canoe for 2 hours
- A ticket for bike ferry
Available for extra price
- Accommodation in a single room with shared bathroom and summer kitchen
- Accommodation in a twin/double room or cottage with own bathroom and kitchen
- See the variants and prices
- An e-bike
- Foodstuff according your wishes to your fridge
- A boat taxi, if you make the tour in such period when the bike ferry is not available (the ticket of the ferry will be diminished from the price)
You can also use more days to your trip. There are many things to see and on the way there are several places where to accommodate.
We’ll be glad to help you to plan a marvellous trip for your holiday. Take contact firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 40 510 6208.
From spring till autumn, we transport cyclists from Lintusalo to Lamminniemi in Hurissalo, and in the opposite direction. Depending on the weather, the boat will be either an open cruiser (Faster) or a canopied Finnmaster, which can both hold 2–3 cyclists. The boat ride is 7 km long and takes 15 minutes.
We can also transport cyclists to other locations by separate agreement. See the prices.
You should book the transport well in advance as the boats are also used for other purposes.
(Tel. +358 (0)40 5106208; email@example.com).
Other cycling locations
Shorter cycling trips can be taken from Nestorinranta to, for example, the Säkkimäki lean-to, the Telkonniemi giant’s kettle or Niinisaari Island, where you can visit a winery, smithy, farm museum and gallery, and enjoy exquisite food in archipelago restaurant.
Telkonniemi giant's kettle
- A natural formation created by rocks that have been moved around by water over millennia.
- Signposts lead to the location from Repolantie road in the southern part of Lintusalo.
- Approx. 10 km from Nestorinranta.
- Highest point in the archipelago
- Excellent view of Lake Saimaa
- Lean-to and campfire spot, logs
- Signpost “laavu, 300 m” on Lintusalontie in Liimattala
- Approx. 7 km from Nestorinranta.